Buzz

Published on July 3rd, 2018 | by AberdeenMagazine

0

125 Years of Caring

Through each changing decade, the Salvation Army’s red shield symbol has remained a sign of refuge for those in need. Founded in 1893, the Aberdeen Corps initially offered hope and assistance to settlers facing drought and financial hardships. In the early 1900s, a successful campaign erected the Corps’ first building, located at 14 4th Avenue Southwest. This building held lodging accommodations, worship services, and Sunday school. The Salvation Army later made the move to their current location on Sixth Avenue in 1984, and to create more space for shoppers, opened their thrift store right next door in 2005. Currently, they provide material and economic assistance through their Community Care Ministries, food pantry, meal shares, senior food boxes, nursing home visits, Christmas and back to school aid, emergency disaster services, family care management, and after school program. National Salvation Army Week takes place this year May 14-20. To celebrate their 125th Anniversary, the Aberdeen Corps will be hosting a series of events that week, such as a chili cook-off, health fair, and Labor for your Neighbor clean-up drive. // – Jenny Roth

To learn more about the Aberdeen Salvation Army, call 605-225-7410. 


About the Author



Back to Top ↑
  • Follow us on Facebook!

  • Issue: May/June 2018

    1