Do you love to cook? Is Anthony Bourdain your personal hero? Do you ask for new mixing bowls each Christmas? Well then we’ve got a treat for you! Local amateur chefs, Gabby Gruenwald and Tara Schipke return to the Aberdeen Magazine with a gourmet take on a fast food classic. So break out your knives and your big chef’s hat because it’s time to get cooking. // by Gabby Gruenwald and Tara Schipke
– 1 3/4 C parsley
– 2/3 C cilantro
– 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
– 1 lime rind (grated)
– 1/4 t oregano
– 3/4-1 t kosher Salt
– 1/4 t red pepper flakes
– 1/4 t pepper
– 2 T apple cider vinegar
– 3 T lime juice
– 2 yolks
– pinch of kosher salt
– 2 T water
– 1 1/4 C olive oil (separated equally)
EGGPLANT AND MACHEGO FRIES:
– 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick “fries”
– 16 oz Manchego cheese, cut into 1/4 inch thick “fries” (any medium-hard cheese can be substituted for Manchego cheese)
– 4 eggs
– 2 C flour
– 1 C corn starch
– 3/4 – 1 t Cayenne
– 3 C Panko breadcrumbs
– 1/4 C olive oil
– 1/4 C vegetable or canola oil
– Kosher salt for sprinkling
HOW TO MAKE IT: EGGPLANT/MANCHEGO FRIES:
1. In a small bowl, crack 2 of the 4 eggs, beat well.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups our, 1 cup cornstarch, 3 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper. Put half of this our mixture aside.
3. In a third bowl,add 1 1⁄2Cups of Panko crumbs.
4. Cut eggplant and Manchego cheese into equal 1⁄4 inch thick fries.
5. Match up pieces of eggplant to similar size pieces of Manchego cheese.
6. Dredge slices together in our mixture then dip them in the beaten eggs.
7. Repeat this process, then coat in Panko crumbs.
8. The flour mixture may become “doughy” and sticky from the egg. Once this happens, scrap what is in the bowl and use the other half of the our mixture you set aside.
9. The eggs may also get too much flour in them. If that happens, or if you simply run out, beat together the other 2 eggs in a clean bowl.
10. In a large pan, heat 1⁄4 Cup Vegetable Oil and 1⁄4 Cup Olive Oil on medium high (about 350 degrees).
11. Cook Eggplant/Manchego wedges on each side until golden brown.
12. Immediately sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
13. Serve with the Chimichurri Aioli for dipping.
HOW TO MAKE IT: CHIMICHURRI/AIOLI:
1. Put all ingredients for Chimichurri in a food processor. Pulse until it reaches a pesto- like consistency. Set aside in refrigerator.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the 2 egg yolks with a pinch of salt until it reaches a pale yellow color and begins to thicken.
3. Continue to beat eggs on high and slowly drizzle in half of the olive oil.
4. Add 2 Tablespoons of water, continuing to beat on high.
5. Slowly drizzle the other half of the olive oil into the mixture, beating until a thick mayonnaise- like consistency.
6. Fold in chimichurri.