Pumpkin Spiced Ice Cream
– 1 cup whole milk
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– 2 egg yolks
– 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. superfine or granulated sugar
– 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
– 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice
– Drop of vanilla extract
– Dash of dark rum (optional)
1. Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam but not boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl until smooth. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar and whisk until pale and slightly fluffy. Gradually and slowly, pour the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking continuously to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat, stirring frequently, until the custard thinly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let boil.
3. Pour back into the bowl and set aside for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature.
4. Put the pumpkin, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, remaining sugar, and a dash of rum, into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Cool in refrigerator for an hour. Add to the cooled custard and whisk well. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions
5. When the churning is completed, transfer the ice cream into a freezer-proof container with a lid. Freeze until reaches the correct scooping texture (at least 2 hours). Dust each portion with a little ground cinnamon before serving.
This was a wonderful treat! From epicurious.com.