Published on November 1st, 2020 | by AberdeenMagazine
Making Spirits Bright
Whether it’s a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year’s Eve party, these festive drinks are sure to add cheer to any celebration.
// recipes by Karlie Spiry and Dani McQuillen; photos by Troy McQuillen
North Pole Nog
- 6 oz prepared eggnog
- 1 oz spiced rum
- 2 oz bourbon
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- 1 cinnamon stick for garnish
- Stir together spiced rum, bourbon, and eggnog.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
- 1 solid Copper mug and ice
- 2 oz gin or vodka
- 4-6 oz ginger beer
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- Frozen cranberries for garnish
- 1 rosemary sprig for garnish
- Squeeze lime juice into the mug and fill with ice.
- Add gin or vodka, ginger beer, and cranberry juice over the ice.
- Stir everything and then garnish with the cranberries and rosemary sprig. Then enjoy!
Baileys Christmas Coffee
Serves 2 Prep 5 mins
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of hot water
- 2 tbsp of whiskey
- 4 tbsp of Bailey’s Irish Cream or to taste
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of milk
- Chocolate gratings to garnish
- Mix the coffee granules, sugar, and water together to combine, then start mixing the ingredients together on a low speed. Gradually increase speed as the mixture thickens until stiff peaks are reached.
- Add milk, whiskey, Bailey’s, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and stir well. Pour into a glass over ice until it’s ¾ full. Spoon a generous amount of the whipped coffee in the remaining ¼ of the glass. Grate the chocolate and garnish the top of the drink.
Naughty or Spice Glühwein
Serves 8 Prep 10 mins Cook 10 mins
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- Oranges, peeled, for garnish
- Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves, and star anise in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs or glasses, add an orange peel to each and serve.
Apple Pie Cocktail
Prep 5 mins
- 1 cup Martinelli’s apple juice, heated
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or 1 square Kraft caramel
- 1 tbsp real butter
- 1 ½ oz Buttershots liqueur
- 1 ½ oz Fireball whisky
- Melt the butter and sugar or caramel together in a saucepan for multiple servings, or in a coffee mug for a single serving.
- Heat the apple juice as well.
- Stir all ingredients together and serve.