The United Way of Northeastern SD is proud to support the efforts of their partner agency the Helpline Center. On July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) was officially transitioned to the phone number 988. Moving to a 3-digit code will transform the way Americans reach out for mental health help and support. The FCC selected the 988 number to elevate the awareness for mental health crisis response to the same level as calling 911 for other emergencies. It’s anticipated that 911 and 988 will quickly become the two most recognized and important phone numbers.
988 in South Dakota
- Anyone in need of crisis support for themselves or someone else should call 988. The Lifeline accepts calls from anyone who is suicidal or in emotional distress, including substance use crisis.
- 988 is answered by the Helpline Center in Sioux Falls, the Helpline Center is the same agency that answers all the 211 calls. 211 is a non-emergency number for finding community resources, such as food banks and shelters.
- 988 will be answered by individuals with advanced degrees and experience in behavioral health.
- The Helpline provides follow-up calls to individuals including follow-up calls for mobile crisis team referrals, discharges from stabilization units and appropriate regional facilities.
- 988 partners with 911, psychiatric inpatient units, stabilization units and appropriate regional facilities.
- Text and chat services are offered through 988.
- There are national, statewide and local marketing campaigns promoting 988. If you’re interested in promotional materials, please contact the Helpline Center www.helpline.org
- The big part of the continued success of 988 will be the partnerships and collaboration with all services on the crisis continuum. //