Published on September 1st, 2016 | by AberdeenMagazine
Pumpkin and Bacon Spiced Cupcakes
If you make one recipe from this issue, it must be these unusual treats! Recipe adapted from chatelaine.com.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
– 3/4 cup pumpkin
– 1/2 cup butter, melted, then cooled
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 4 slices of cooked bacon, finely chopped
– 1/2 package of cream cheese, at room temperature
– 1 3/4 cups sifted icing sugar
-1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 3 tbsp. maple syrup
– 4 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 12-cup muffin tin with oil or line with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin spice in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs with brown sugar, pumpkin butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually whisk flour mixture into egg mixture until evenly mixed. Stir in the chopped bacon. Mixture will be thick. Spoon into liners. Bake in center of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 min.
3. Beat cream cheese with icing sugar, butter and maple syrup until evenly mixed and smooth. Refrigerate icing until firm, about 30 min. Spread or pipe icing over cooled cupcakes. Garnish with bacon.